Talk to a
Just as the stomach is often the way to your pet’s heart, so, too, can it be the way to health issues. A holiday full of tasty chocolate and hot cross buns, it can be tempting to sneak our beloved dogs a nibble of these delicious treats. Everything in moderation, right? Wrong when it comes to our dogs chocolate and raisins/sultanas.
If your dog consumes grapes, sultanas or raisins, they can develop life-threatening kidney injury. If your pet survives the acute kidney injury, they may develop chronic kidney disease, which can lead to lifelong complications.
There are several signs that your dog may have helped themselves to hot cross buns and ingested raisins. Here’s what to look for:
If you suspect that your dog has eaten grapes, raisins or sultanas, even if it’s a small amount, contact your nearest vet or emergency hospital immediately. The earlier that treatment is commenced, the better your pet’s chance of survival.
Whether you’re teaching them to sit, pose for ‘likes’ or stop peeing on the rug, dogs learn best when you reward good behaviour. But giving them too many treats can lead to weight issues. That’s why we made this Crumble. With delicious plant-based ingredients, it’s designed so that small portions can be used as big rewards. And this stylish tin means you can proudly leave it on display for quick access. We’ll also include a mini travel tin for you to keep in your car, pocket or bag.
Cacao found in chocolate eggs and bunnies contains a compound called theobromine, as well as our favourite peppy friend caffeine. These are highly toxic to cats and dogs even in the smallest of quantities. Dogs can’t metabolise theobromine and caffeine as well as us humans can, which makes our pets more sensitive to the chemicals’ effects.
If your pet sneaks a little taste of your Easter basket, clinical signs can differ based on how much they’re able to gobble up. For many dogs, the most common clinical signs include:
In severe cases, symptoms can include arrhythmias, muscle tremors, seizures and even death. Keep in mind that chocolate toxicity is dose dependent, with darker chocolate being the most dangerous. Since most chocolate is high in fat, it can cause gastric upset and potentially pancreatitis. If you suspect your dog has ingested chocolate or anything else they shouldn't have while you were hosting and toasting with friends and family during the holiday weekend, seek urgent veterinary advice and care.